Animal Crossing: New Horizons wins at the Golden Joystick Awards 2020
The 38th annual Golden Joystick Awards returned on November 24th, with the awards ceremony this year being a digital affair due to the current COVID-19 pandemic.
The awards – typically held in the UK – celebrate the previous 12 months of achievements in the gaming industry. From best selling games to indie achievements, this part of the year is for those developers and publishers to get some kind of recognition for their years of hard work. Voted by the people who actually play the games, the public.
At this year’s awards, Nintendo’s own Animal Crossing: New Horizons was nominated for 5 awards, including ‘Ultimate Game of the Year 2020.’
Ultimately ACNH only walked away with a single award at the end of the night, ‘Nintendo Game of the Year’. It was beaten to the ‘Ultimate Game of the Year’ award by Naughty Dogs, The Last of Us Part 2.
See the full list of winners of the night below.
- Best Storytelling – The Last of Us 2
- Best Multiplayer Game – Fall Guys
- Best Visual Design – The Last of Us 2
- Best Game Expansion – No Man’s Sky: Origins
- Mobile Game of the Year – Lego Builder’s Journey
- Best Audio – The Last of Us 2
- Best Indie Game – Hades
- Still Playing – Minecraft
- Studio of the Year – Naughty Dog
- Esports Game of the Year – Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
- Best New Streamer / Broadcaster – iamBrandon
- Best Family Game – Fall Guys
- Best Gaming Community – Minecraft
- Best Performer – Sandra Saad (Kamala Khan)
- Breakthrough Award – Innersloth (Among Us)
- Outstanding Contribution – The Gaming Industry
- PC Game of the Year – Death Stranding
- Best Gaming Hardware – NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
- PlayStation Game of the Year – The Last of Us 2
- Xbox Game of the Year – Ori and the Will of the Wisps
- Nintendo Game of the Year – Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Most Wanted Game – God of War: Ragnarok
- Critic’s Choice – Hades
- Ultimate Game of the Year – The Last of Us 2